Is Botox toxic?

Safety and myths surrounding the world-famous neurotoxin

Botox has occupied a prominent position in the context of aesthetic medicine. Despite its popularity, there are some concerns about its safety, particularly the question: Is Botox toxic? This article will examine the facts to educate patients and clear up common misconceptions.

Well-known active ingredient

Botox is a purified protein derived from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. In high doses, the toxin is capable of causing botulism, a rare but severe disease. However, in aesthetic medicine, Botox is used in extremely low, controlled doses specifically developed and tested for use in humans.


The use of Botox is approved by health authorities worldwide. It has been used in medicine for decades, not only in aesthetics but also to treat medical conditions such as chronic migraines and tension headaches (see blog “TMJ”), as well as excessive sweating and muscle spasms. The safety of Botox is well documented through extensive clinical studies, and when used correctly by a qualified professional, the risk of side effects is low.

Proper use is crucial

As with any medical procedure, Botox has risks, but these can be minimized through proper use. Possible but rare side effects include swelling, bruising, or temporary weakness of the treated muscles. Reports of serious complications are usually due to improper use or overdose. The myth that Botox is toxic, even when used cosmetically, stems from a misunderstanding about the nature of the toxin and its use in medicine.

The decision to have Botox should always be made after careful consideration and advice. However, a Botox injection can be considered harmless if the dosage is correct and administered by a qualified specialist.

We are here
to help you.

You can rely on our many years of experience in the field of mouth, jaw and face. Please do not hesitate to contact us.